1. Symbol for the vitamin D potency of cod liver oil, multiples of which (5D, 100D) are used to designate the vitamin D potency of irradiated ergosterol (viosterol) or other substances. Also, symbol for deuterium'>deuterium; dihydrouridine in nucleic acids; diffusing capacity; aspartic acid; diffusion coefficient (in italics).
2. In optics, abbreviation for diopter'>diopter, or dexter'>dexter (L. right).
3. In electrodiagnosis, abbreviation for duration'>duration, the current that is flowing and the circuit that is being closed.
4. In dental formulas, abbreviation for deciduous2'>deciduous2.
5. As a subscript, refers to dead space.
6. D line in Na emission spectra.
See: physiologic dead space
Stedman’s Medical Dictionary © Wolters Kluwer Health. All rights reserved.