Pronunciation: in′deks, -di-sis, -di-sēz, -dek-sĕz
1. A guide, standard, indicator, symbol, or number denoting a relationship with respect to size, capacity, or function, of one part or thing to another.
2. A core or mold used to record or maintain the relative position of a tooth or teeth to one another and/or to a cast.
3. A guide, usually made of plaster, used to reposition teeth, casts, or parts.
4. In epidemiology, a rating scale.
Synonyms: index finger
The information shown above for index is provided by Stedman's.
* Stedman's, part of Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, provide a comprehensive line of health-science publications for healthcare professionals and medical students.