axis (ax)Type: Term
Pronunciation: ak′sis, ak′sēz
1. A straight line joining two opposing poles of a spheric body, about which the body may revolve.
2. The central line of the body or any of its parts.
3. The second cervical vertebra.
4. The vertebral column.
5. The central nervous system.
6. An artery that divides, immediately on its origin, into a number of branches, celiac axis.
The information shown above for axis is provided by Stedman's.
* Stedman's, part of Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, provide a comprehensive line of health-science publications for healthcare professionals and medical students.