1. The process of growth in plants.
2. A condition of sluggishness, comparable with the inactivity of plant life.
3. A growth or excrescence of any sort.
4. Specifically, a clot, composed largely of fused blood platelets, fibrin, and sometimes microorganisms, adherent to a diseased heart orifice or valve, and often initiated by infection of the structures involved.
The information shown above for vegetation is provided by Stedman's.
* Stedman's, part of Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, provide a comprehensive line of health-science publications for healthcare professionals and medical students.